My cousin is having a baby and I couldn’t be more excited! Especially because it gives me an excuse to raid the craft store for cute and cuddly baby fabrics. (Which I’d do anyway, let’s be honest.)
I found this super easy DIY for baby burp cloths on Pinterest and decided they’d be the perfect, made-with-love shower gift. I had so much fun making these and can’t wait to make more again soon. (Hint, hint, friends and family!)
I made twice as many cloths as Chelsea from Life with My Littles, so I have slightly different measurements. Here’s what you do:
- Go to your favorite fabric store, and beeline to the baby aisle. Stop yourself from buying everything. (After about an hour, I finally decided on two gender-neutral fabrics. Animals are always safe!):
Here’s what you’ll need to make 8 cloths:
- 1/2 yd printed fabric (I bought 1/4 yd each of two different flannel prints. Soft, plain cotton would also work great.)
- 1/2 yd fuzzy fabric (JoAnn Fabrics calls this “Soft N Comfy“)
- Thread to match
- Pre-wash and iron your fabrics. The washing might result in some fraying but you’ll still have plenty of fabric to work with.
- Cut fabric into 10″x18″ rectangles. (You will likely have fuzzy fabric left over, because it comes in a larger bolt size.)
- Take one patterned piece and one fuzzy piece and sew right sides together with a 1/2″ seam, leaving 2″ or so open on one of the sides so you can turn it right side out. (See here for more detailed photos, which I always forget to take.)
- Turn right side out and iron seams flat. Topstitch all along the outside edge, including your opening, with a 1/4″ seam.
- That’s it. Seriously! These little blankies are done.